Tuesday, November 20

My Career

A lot of you don't know who I was or what I did prior to being a "mommy". I actually did have a career!! And it was an important one!! I got my undergraduate degree in Sociology/Psychology. Then I went back to get my Masters Degree. My MA is in Education and Counseling. Then I went and got my LPC which stands for Licensed Professional Counselor. I am licensed through the state of Texas. I still maintain my license by taking yearly continuing education (on line now), because someday I will be back to counseling.
For a majority of my career, I worked at Roy Maas Youth Alternatives. I worked there for 8 years total in different capacities. But the last five years I worked at a residential treatment center called Maas Cabin. I worked out in Boerne at a place called Meadowlands, which is a country "ranch" like setting for both boys and girls ages 6-18. They all lived in different cabins based on their needs. The cabin I worked at was a girls cabin of 12. They were the "highest" level, meaning they were the one's who required the most help. These girls lived here at the cabin until they were stable enough to go to a foster home, and some of the girls just lived there until they were 18. The girls were placed by the state because they were taken away from their parents permanently, mostly for neglect and abuse. My office was in there cabin, and I provide all the individual and group therapy, among many other things including going to all their court cases. Since the girls did not have parents, I did a lot of things that a parent would do like parent/teacher meetings at the school, taking them places they needed to go, but mostly just helping them get through their situations. As you can see, this was a very rewarding job, however emotionally stressful. I think about the girls all the time: wondering what ever happened to them and if they are safe. I got attached to a lot of the residents, after spending so much time with them.
Well, my sister had emailed a news clip from RMYA from San Antonio and it just brought back a lot of memories.
You can go to this link to see where I worked. Go to "programs" on the top, then click on the left to residential treatment centers, and you will see my cabin: Maas Cabin. I still try to stop by when I am in San Antonio, and still keep in touch of some of my co workers. What a great opportunity this was for me!!! This is what I was doing when Ron and I met, and I worked at Maas Cabin until the DAY BEFORE Lincoln was born..... Then we moved away...
Working for this organization was not just a career, it was also a family. I had some great mentors (Anita and Bart), who I probably need to call and just say Thanks.... But, I think they know how I feel...
http://www.rmya.org/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and I'm very, very proud of you!! You had and now have a very important job raising the kids!! You're doing a great job!!

Anonymous said...

Did you get the video I sent you about RMYA? Or is this another coincedance?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the story of your work at RMYA. What important work you were doing---and I agree with your Mom, you are still doing it!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you Cynthia, and just to think you would put it all on hold to take such loving care of your precious family;and you are a wonderful Mommy!! Were so happy that your able to have the honor as so many Mom's have to work outside of the home these days!!!! You do have a full time job with the little ones.... We love you!!!