Tuesday, January 22

Dog Answers....

To answer your questions, Sue...
A couple of weeks ago, Ron and I were doing our dog research (again) and came up with the outcome of how a Golden Retriever would work for our family... Well, we looked into the rescue league, and that was about it.
THEN coincidently, a couple weeks later someone that works for Ron asked him if he knew of anyone that was looking for a dog because he a Golden Retriever that they needed a new home for... So it all just kind of fell in our lap. We were so wishy washy about a dog, so this just helped us make our decision.
The reason they couldn't keep her: The wife had the puppy since 4 weeks old, before she was married. Then she married, had a baby, etc.... They recently downsized to a duplex without a backyard. They both work long shifts, and the dog was kenneled for 10 hours a day... The wife is really attached to the dog, but "wanted something better" for her. She wanted the dog to have a good home, with a family to play with, etc.....
Sleeping: right now, she is sleeping in the kennel overnight.... We can't trust her yet mostly about chewing up the toys... I want her to eventually sleep with the boys... She sleeps on the foot of Lincoln's bed when we are in there reading.
This morning I woke up and she was in my bed!! Ron let her out to potty, didn't put her back in the kennel, so she helped herself to my bed... (this is NOT going to be a permanent situation)...
She loves going on rides. She jumped in the back of the Suburban to pick up Lincoln from preschool so that was fun...
We've had a great couple of days with her!! She loves Kong. It's the only thing she can't chew up.
And YES she looks like Kelly. I've been accidently calling her Kelly. She also reminds me of Flame (NOT her personality). Her personality is more like Kelly's, but since she is younger she is much more "hyper" at times... playful...
Oh yeah, her "old name" is Tipsy. She was named Tipsy bc it looks like her paws, chest, and tail were dipped in white paint (like Kelly). I didn't like the name Tipsy bc it reminds me of being "drunk"... So, Lincoln renamed her to Lucky, and I to Miss Lucky because... too many L names in this household already..... at least miss lucky starts with an M, and it makes the name Lucky a bit more feminine. Oh yeah, she is bigger than Kelly, but apparantly on the very small side for Golden's (her father is twice her size)....

3 comments:

The Wilson Crew said...

It sounds like she was made for your family! We got lucky with Kelly too. She was house trained when we got her and must have come from a family with children even though she was found abandoned and starving. She now weighs about 35 pounds. It sounds like yours is about the size of Sable who weighs about 60 pounds.I hope she does not eat as much of your house as our have!! I think that as you become used to having a dog around you will never be able to see yourself without one.

Tiffany said...

Yay! Congratulations on your newest family addition. I hope she brings you and the rest of the Flower Mound gang much joy. Dogs are great.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee...I didn't think I would ever let the dogs sleep with me, either. Give it time : ) I'm glad to hear that things are working out. I hope you all will be able to keep her.