Thursday, June 12

Childhood

Childhood Confessions and Memories:

1. I went to speech therapy from K-5th grade. I couldn't say my "R's", I said them like "W's". My one hour a week of speech therapy was my favorite time of the whole week: It was a blast getting out of class and spending some one on one time with the therapist earning neat prizes. I guess what I am trying to say is the last couple of years, I may have been not trying real hard to say my R's....

2. When I was young and lived in Illinois, I baked cookies every year and entered them in the 4-H contest. I even had to do a demonstration to the whole group during a 4-H meeting (Sue are you recalling this...). It was always my peanut butter cookies that won 1st place. Later in life in middle school, both my sisters went to "clogging" every Sunday, and I remember making Peanut Butter cookies every Sunday. I guess it was the only type of cookie you always had all the ingredients for. Well, I don't think I've made PB cookies since middle school, 25 yrs...... Well, I made them tonight and they tasted as good as ever...

3. My Mom made these really comfortable pink and white PJ's that I kept and wore during my WHOLE childhood. They were great, I STILL think about how comfortable those were, and haven't been able to find any to replace....

4. Sue and I would play a board game "PayDay" for hours and hours on end. We had ALL our own rules made up, and it was sooo much fun. Wondering if my boys will ever sit for hours on end playing a board game, somehow I doubt it.

5. I remember the day Jen and Tom were both born, and I remember them coming home from the hospital.

6. My 1st memory is of my AUNT DEB picking me up and out of the crib upstairs at the farm... And I remember the day we moved to the farm when I was 2.

7. I had curly hair that looked somewhat like an Afro (I find some pics). My mom couldn't comb through it. I remember taking my once a week bath on Sunday's and she would sit and try to get out all the tangles and knots. I cried through the whole thing. I used to wear a bandanna on my head when I played outside so I wouldn't get things in my hair like burrs or ticks or whatever.

8. I had to wear those orthopedic leg braces from waist to shoe, yup like Forest Gump.

9. So I've come a long way from that rat nested hair, speech impediment, crippled young gal... not to mention the extreme shyness and being just skin and bones... I'm sure I looked quite frightening....

10. I guess this is a good time to stop!!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

You have so many memories. I wish I remembered more from when I was really little. I hardly remember Tommy as a baby. I kinda remember him in the play pen a lot.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this CIndi!! I didn't know you remembered so much. I'd like to see more of this from you and the others!!

Anonymous said...

that is freaking hilarious..what a summary...and to think that you and I have similarities...i was in speech class in 3rd and 4th grade, and still walk pigeon toe to this day....however, i would never believe in a MILLION years that you were shy...you were "selectively social".....yaya

Anonymous said...

in response to Jens initial comment....Jen, theres a reason for that and you and I destroyed one to many brain cells, sorry sister, its gone:)....LOL...yaya

tkmo said...

I went to speech therapy during 4th grade for the same exact reason. I still have trouble with words that have both a W and an R.